Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Exploring Concepts...For the Sixth Time!




                As an aspiring journalist, I found the entirety of Chapter 12 interesting. Whether that is because it pertains to my personal interests or if it is because I know subconsciously that I will be forced to know such information is irrelevant, for I enjoyed the section either way. However, I found the print verses television verses online coverage portion the most intriguing. I knew I had to pay attention to the differences between the two for several reasons—one being the evolution of multiscreen media in modern society that I am part of and another being the international journalism project I am working on for this class. 

The idea of facelessness I found the most curious of all. Because there is often no face to pair with the words, print journalists are less likely to be trust compared to television reporters or podcast producers. Even if there is a picture to go with the article, newspaper reporters are limited to a tiny mug shot that does nothing for their personal reflection. A face on a news show can be interpreted better because the expressions and body language can be tracked and analyzed. The reporter becomes a living person and not just a page of words. A society fueled by visual affirmation is more likely to warm to a moving, breathing entity than a faceless one.

No comments:

Post a Comment