Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Exploring the Concept of Opinion

Exploring Concepts: Film Chapter 

On "Avatar" and the Reviews Thereof




                Most film critics tick me off because too often they do not look at the message or ambiance of a film and instead choose to reflect on the budget, acting quality, lead names, and actions of the directors and producers involved. I believe that even if a film is poorly made or underacted but has a great plotline or an original idea, it should still be recognized for its positive qualities instead of being hatefully bashed. The most prevalent cases that come to my mind are some of the reviews about “Avatar.” 

While there were a group of critics that hailed it, loving the imagery, technology, and themes within the picture, there were an equal number of spiteful reviews. These reviews bashed Cameron for his overuse of explosions and his stereotypical, stock characters. Others called it Pocahontas in space.

 In actuality, these criticisms I believe to be true—however, they do not change my mind about the general ambiance of the film and the message (even though regurgitated from previous movies like “Dances with Wolves” and “Pocahontas”) is beautiful. Being one with nature thrills me as a pagan and I loved seeing my spirituality depicted through a gorgeous alien race and their fantastical beasts. It is also a topic that modern society needs to heed more attention to. Speaking of beasts, another aspect of the film that did not get as much attention from the critics as it deserved was the creature designs employed. 

The neon-strung, six-legged monsters were stunning and the, for lack of a better word, coolness of the alien animal designs thrilled me to the core. I actually shed a few tears from the shear awesomeness of the bestial visuals. I believe critics should pay more attention to the artistic aspects of film, like set, dress, and the like, and not just focus on the actors and directors involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment